As essential hubs for anglers, bait shops in Oneida County are partnering with Oneida County AIS to up-the-ante on the valuable services they provide by taking steps to prevent the spread of AIS in Wisconsin’s lakes and rivers. All Oneida County bait dealers/bait shops and their staff are invited to join in this important partnership to protect our valuable water resources and fisheries, now and for future generations.
As a bait shop owner, you and your staff are in a unique position to share AIS information with anglers because anglers consider your business a trusted source of information about area lakes, regulations, and fishing tips. As influential members of our recreational community, you and your staff have the perfect opportunity to help in this important mission by displaying provided AIS educational material in your store, answering customers questions about AIS, and empowering them to protect our lakes and rivers from the harmful effects of invasive species.
Among the angling community, bait shop owners and staff can be important conduits for the AIS-prevention message. In fact, over 70 percent of Wisconsin bait shop owners feel they play an important role in AIS prevention, and almost 75 percent of them already display educational materials on the topic, according to a 2010 survey conducted by the University of Wisconsin-Extension and Department of Natural Resources. A 2011 pilot study to empower bait shop owners showed further proof of their influence.
In light of this, we have created a free toolkit designed to make conversations about AIS a little easier. The toolkit contains informational materials for you and your customers. We will also provide opportunities to increase the visibility of your store in our community.
WE WILL PROVIDE YOU WITH THE FOLLOWING ITEMS TO PLACE IN YOUR STORE:
- AIS PREVENTION BROCHURE provides a simple, straightforward message that explains the proper steps to reduce the spread of AIS. It also contains basic information about the dangers of AIS and current state laws.
- FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ) CARD designed to supplement the information in the brochure with additional information related to AIS to help you answer frequently asked AIS-related questions.
- FLOATING KEY CHAINS to remind customers of the necessary steps to prevent the spread of AIS when they are out on the water.
- BAIT BUCKET STICKERS to be placed on bait buckets and trailer hitches reiterating AIS prevention behavior.
IN EXCHANGE FOR YOUR EFFORTS, WE WILL PROVIDE THE FOLLOWING:
- Your bait shop will be included in a newsletter article and press release about your commitment to protecting the lakes and rivers in Oneida County. The article will be sent to local lake groups, organizations, and media outlets.
- Your bait shop will be listed on the “Bait Shop Outreach” page of the Oneida County AIS Programs website (www.oneidacountyais.com).
- CERTIFICATE OF PARTICIPATION presented to you on behalf of the Oneida County Land & Water Conservation Department for your commitment to protecting lakes from the spread of invasive species.
Informing your customers about how they can help prevent the spread of invasive species benefits everyone who enjoys the lakes, rivers, and thriving fisheries in Oneida County.
If you or your staff would like to join this effort, or if you know a bait shop that may be willing to help, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Oneida County Land and Water Conservation
- Cenex – 9578 Co Hwy K, Tomahawk, WI 54487
- Kracker Barrel Gas Station – N 11790 County Road L, Tomahawk, WI 54487
- Chuck’s Sport Shop – 630 N 4th St, Tomahawk, WI 54487
- Aquatic Arts Fishing Pro Shop – 601 N 4th St, Tomahawk, WI 54487
- Rhinelander Walmart – 2121 Lincoln St, Rhinelander, WI 54501
- Mobil Gas Station – 2219 N Stevens St, ,Rhinelander, WI 54501
- West Side Shell – 1999 River St, Rhinelander, WI 54501
- Marathon Gas Station – 608 W Kemp St, Rhinelander, WI 54501
- BP Gas Station – 669 W Kemp St, Rhinelander, WI 54501
- The Fishing Hole – 3460 N Faust Lake Rd, Rhinelander, WI 54501
- Sugar Camp Midway Station – 6345 State Rd 17, Rhinelander, WI 54501
- BP Gas Station – 723 US-45, Pelican Lake, WI 54463
- Kurt’s Island Sport Shop – 824 US-51, Minocqua, WI 54548
- Rollie and Helen’s Musky Shop– 7542 US-51, Minocqua, WI 54548th
- Minocqua Walmart – 8760 Northridge Way, Minocqua, WI 54548
- J & J Sports – 7197 WI-47, Lake Tomahawk, WI 54539
- Hazelhurst ICO – 6995 US-51, Hazelhurst, WI 54531
- Jokin’ Joe’s Bait & Tackle – 1674 Superior St, Three Lakes, WI 54562
- Shell Gas Station – 1742 Superior St, Three Lakes, WI 54562